Heading

Return to Home Page

Gheerulla - pronounced - Jer (as in her)-rull-ah.

 

The name is a contraction of the words of the Waka people kirar nulla referring to a dry creek.

 

¥1891

The diYahoo Ckstrict has endured a number of name changes since closer settlement began in 1891 when the area was better known as Yahoo Creek District reporting and advertising in the Chronicle and North Coast Advertiser from 1903 until 1910 utilised that locality address (http://www.nambour-chronicle.com/)

 

The Rationalist Socialist Lines referred to was the co-operative nature of the settlement where, much like the communes of later years, neighbours pooled resources and labour and worked  collaboratively on projects both large and small.  In this manner they were able to establish local industries, build a school, and hall and establish a cemetery within two decades, all without assistance from outside the community.

¥1900

The community identified itself as Kenilworth with the first school built in the district “on the hill” above the junction of Yahoo Creek and the Mary River being named as the Kenilworth Provisional School in 1900.

Minutes

¥1901

The Kenilworth Farmers’ Association was formed at a public meeting on October 2, 1901.  This Association was a forerunner to the Progress Associations/ Chambers of Commerce of today.

¥1910

At the November 15 meeting the Association recommended that the indigenous name of Gheerulla be forwarded to the Deputy Postmaster and Home Office for the Post Office to be established to serve the district and as a name change to Yahoo Creek.  This name change apparently did not please all the population with a comment printed in the The Chronicle on October 28, 1911 stated that it was "anything but a pretty name".

¥1921

Yet another name change came to the district when, in 1921 the subdivision of land on Kenilworth Run by the Moore family for a township to be named Kenilworth on the western bank of the Mary River opposite Mt Ubi Run.  The two separate Kenilworth communities quickly became known as "Kenilworth Township" and "Kenilworth Lower".

¥1924

Kenilworth Township Provisional School opened on 21 October.

¥1928

The Postmaster-General's Department altered the name of the Post Office to Kenilworth Lower but because "strong protests were received from local residents", it was agreed in a letter dated July 31, 1929 that the name Gheerulla  be retained.

Chronicle article

¥1931

This distinction may be seen in the report from the Nambour Chronicle, January 2.

¥1939

The Township School officially took the name Kenilworth State School and the name Kenilworth Lower was awarded to the local State School and Hall.

¥1965

The Gheerulla Post Office and Telephone Exchange was closed on July 12 by the Post Master General's Department and all services moved to the township of Kenilworth.

¥1991

Finally the name, Gheerulla, recommended by those early pioneers in 1910 came to be granted by the Governor in Council, as Gheerulla became an official locality, on 27 July 1991, just short of 90 years after it was first proposed.

¥2008

The boundaries were re-gazetted on the 4th July – GG 4/7/08 Page 1310  QPN 1012 by the minister for Natural Resources and water due to the Local Government amalgamations. DNR map This map is reproduced under licence number OPNS:2008_2634 with permission and assistance from staff at the Woolloongabba office of the Department of Natural Resources & Mines (http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/)

Website construction managed by members of the Kenilworth & District Historical Association Inc. - another fine example of community co-operation.

Those "Rational Socialists" would be proud