Return to Home Page

The first Anglican service was held at the Yahoo Creek School in 1903.  A Sunday school began in the same year to cater for the Christian education of the growing families of the early settlers. In 1904 regular monthly Sunday services were held by Mr Henry Glazier, a lay reader from Brisbane Holy Communion was celebrated on weekdays by Rev. Z.A. Higgins of Caboolture. Services were also conducted in private homes during this period when no other venue was available.


The Kenilworth Farmers' Assembly Hall was constructed in 1907 and quickly became the centre of civic life in the district with church services and weddings held there. 


In 1908 a new Parochial District of Nambour was created with Rev. A Ethell appointed inaugural Vicar. Mr Edward Pickering from Kenilworth was the first Synodsman.


After several years of vigorous debate the Parishes of Gympie and Nambour agreed to relinquish some of their territory and in 1925 the formation of the Parochial District of the Mary Valley was declared.  Bishop Le Fanu inducted the Rev Joseph Taylor as the Vicar in Christ Church, Imbil on 27th October, 1925.  Messrs P.L. Wallader and W.H.J. Krogh were the initial church wardens with Messrs C.B. Saunders, E. Pickering and J.H. Taylor Synodsmen.  Messrs E. Pickering and B.M Palmer were Licensed as Lay Readers.


The Parochial District comprised sparsely populated districts of Imbil, Gheerulla, Brooloo, Bollier, Kandanga, Amamoor, Dagun, Flora Vale, Belli, Kidaman Creek, Obi Obi, Cambroon and Conondale.


Dedicated Christian men St Matthewsincluding Messrs Edward Pickering, Jack McGinn, Richard (Dick) Sims and George Hassall worked tirelessly towards the building of a Church in the vicinity of the Hall. Funds were quickly donated to commence construction. Mr Frank Pearce donated the hardwood for the building and Rev Joseph Taylor (a builder by trade) supervised the construction by a sizeable army of volunteers. Mr Harry Gordon donated the splendid timber for the Altar, Communion Rails and Prayer Desk. The Rev Taylor constructed the Altar. Mr George Hassall similarly provided the timber for the Pews. Mr Dick Sims (Jnr) superbly crafted the furniture. St Matthew’s was the first church built in the area and was dedicated on 28th June, 1926


The Life of St Matthews Church


The final service was conducted in St Matthews Church on Sunday 17 May, 2015.


The new roof and the re-painting of St Matthews was funded by a grant from the Gambling Community Benefit Fund,

which has enabled this community to continue to worship in the church built by the Pioneer families of the district.



 Organ          Organ        Seats       sign       McGinn Wedding      Problem